Plantago genus in Ireland

Moving from Portugal to Ireland aroused my interest for simpler things. My country has thousands of different wildflowers and here in Ireland we have around 800 different ones and this is a good opportunity to explore some genus that you probably wouldn't pay attention in the Mediterranean area.

The genus Plantago - Plantaginaceae family - became one of my favorites. Can you believe that I don't have any memory to record one of the 16 species of Plantago from Portugal? Not counting with Plantago major, but all the other ones I'm sure I'll give a special to them attention during my next trip to my country. 

In Ireland we have 4 different species, well at least until this year I thought we only had 4, but it seems that my favourite Plantago media occurs very rarely in Ireland - and that gives a total number of 5 species of Plantago. This year, thanks to my friend Josh Styles and his magnificent knowledge I had the opportunity to record P. media

Plantago media

The first time I saw this species was in Austria-Slovakia in 2019 and instantly it become one of my favorite wildflowers. As you can imagine, I keep intense and gorgeous memories of this plant for the rest of my life. I couldn't believe when, after almost 3 years in Ireland, I saw this species in county Dublin. I'm not going to lie, probably a small tear of happiness fell through my eyes. Isn't it lovely?

Plantago media

Plantago media

Plantago media

Plantago media

My second favourite Plantago is undoubtedly the stunning and common Plantago lanceolata. This wildflower is well spreaded all over the country and its flowering time goes usually from April until October.

Plantago lanceolata

This wildflower gives lots of expression and motion on the places where it is living. Lets take a deep breath and appreciate the following meadow landscapes:



Plantago lanceolata


Plantago lanceolata

Plantago maritima and Plantago coronopus are 2 other species present in Ireland. Both species occur mainly in coastal areas. 

Plantago maritima


Plantago coronopus

Plantago coronopus

Plantago coronopus

Finally, Plantago major is the last species that I want to show you. Is flowering period usually goes from June until October and it can gets specially bigger-higher when growing in shadier conditions.

Plantago major

Next time you are going to your daily walk don't forget to keep an eye on this amazing botanical family.

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue

Fauna Selvagem Irlandesa - Irish Wild Fauna

Devinska Kobyla - April 2022

Floração do género mentha