Salvias europeias - European Salvias

 

Salvia is the largest genus inside the Lamiaceae family with almost 1000 different species. America is the continent where you can find most of Salvia species and only a few dozens of different ones can be found in Europe.

Salvia pratensis from Vienna

According to flora-on in Portugal there are 6 native species: S. viridis, S. verbenaca, S. sclareoides, S. aethiopsisS. argentea and the rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus) that I'm so delighted that now it is part of this genus.

Even though I love and I focus my attention in hundreds of different genera, Salvia is probably my favourite since the beginning of my journey in Botany. I collected some dozens of different species in my garden. In the past years I've been trying to photograph all the Salvias I found on my field trips across Europe. 

The 7 Salvias I recorded in Europe:

In Slovakia Paradise, north of Slovakia, I took 3 photos of a plant that I just realized later that it was S. verticillata

Salvia verticillata

Still in Slovakia in April 2019, I recorded in Devinska Kobyla - close to the capital - 2 species: S. nemorosa and S. pratensis (that I also recorded near Vienna - 1st picture of this post). Later that year in summer time I recorded S. glutinosa, one of the few Salvias with yellow flowers.

Salvia nemerosa

Salvia pratensis

Salvia glutinosa

Salvia glutinosa

Salvia glutinosa

Salvia glutinosa

In Portugal I just recorded 3 species so far: Salvia verbenaca, Salvia rosmarinus and Salvia sclareoides.

Salvia verbenaca

Salvia sclareoides

Salvia sclareoides

Salvia sclareoides

Salvia sclareoides

Salvia rosmarinus

Hopefully this year I will record most of these species again and who knows I might going to see for the first one in my life a new Salvia in the wild.

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue

Fauna Selvagem Irlandesa - Irish Wild Fauna

Devinska Kobyla - April 2022

Floração do género mentha